Can you explain about fluoride in toothpaste? Is it really bad for your bones?
In short, evidence from a range of studies suggests that fluoride in toothpaste can help prevent tooth decay.
As well as this, levels of fluoride in toothpaste alone are not high enough to cause skeletal fluorosis, the condition caused by excessive consumption of fluoride.
Toothpaste contains about 1000ppm of fluoride (approximately 0.25mg of fluoride per brush). Fluorinated water supplies, conversely, usually contain about 1ppm (1mg per litre of water), and these levels are carefully monitored and adjusted.
Fluoride is an important contributor to reducing tooth decay. Studies have shown that children from areas with fluorinated water supplies in Britain show an approximately 20% reduction in tooth decay compared to those in areas with non-fluorinated water supplies.
Skeletal fluorosis is a condition that can occur if someone ingests high levels of fluoride over a long period of time. This proceeds as follows:
- Fluoride ions react with hydrochloric acid in the stomach to produce small amount of the weak acid hydrofluoric acid.
- This is absorbed into the bloodstream in the gastrointestinal tract and distributed to all tissues and bone.
- Fluoride ions react with calcium in bone to form calcium fluoride. This results in increased density but decreased strength of bone.
The National Academy of Sciences in the US has previously stated that symptoms of skeletal fluorosis ‘may occur in people who have ingested 10-20mg of fluoride per day for 10-20 years.’ To put this in perspective, let’s assume you brush your teeth twice a day, and drink the recommended three litres of water per day. That puts your fluoride intake at 3.5mg per day, assuming your water supply is fluorinated, and lower still if it isn’t, which is a fair bit below this threshold.
Hope that answers your question!
"Fluoride is a highly toxic substance. Consider, for example, the poison warning that the FDA now requires on all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. or the tens of millions of people throughout China and India who now suffer serious crippling bone diseases from drinking water with elevated levels of fluoride.
In terms of acute toxicity (i.e., the dose that can cause immediate toxic consequences), fluoride is more toxic than lead, but slightly less toxic than arsenic. This is why fluoride has long been used in rodenticides and pesticides to kill pests like rats and insects. It is also why accidents involving over-ingestion of fluoridated dental products–including fluoride gels, fluoride supplements, and fluoridated water–can cause serious poisoning incidents, including death”.
(From flouride and health section: flouridealert.org)
(The science blog I re-blogged this initial post from is a great blog however science blogs are just as likely to state damaging pseudo-scientific dogma printed by the pharmaceutical companies in there “peer-reviewed” medical journals as “empiric” studies as the forefront of science as anyone as is. It sounds very conclusive, but peeps, read up about it from a source outside the pharmaceutical companies studies who make billions off of it„, be scientific)
Page 1 of 8